|ST. AUGUSTINE’S PARISH, UNE
Parish Priest: Fr IHOUGH Raphael
Central Catechist: Mr. IORTSOR Alfred
Phone No: 08100642548 / 07080234783
|Brief History of St. Augustine’s Parish, Une
St. Augustine’s Catholic Parish, Une started in the year 1947 under St. John’s Gboko. Une Church was moved to St. Mary’s Parish Wukari in 1955. But when St. Anthony’s Parish Zaki-Biam was established in 1971, St. Augustine’s Church Une was among her outstations. Also when all Saints Parish Ugba was later established in 1972 the then, two parish priests Rev.Fr. Grooves and Rev. Fr. Arthur agreed and Augustine’s Catholic Church was moved from St. Anthony’s Parish, Zaki-Biam to all Saints Parish, Ugba in 1973.
While in Ugba Parish, St. Augustine’s Church, Une was under Gondozua Zone and later in Tyogbenda Zone. On 21st July 1989, Une Zone was created out of Tyogbenda zone by Rev. Fr. David Aguh. On the 16th April, 1995, Rev. Fr. David Aguh proposed St. Augustine’s Une Zone as a mission with its headquarters at Une. The proposed mission comprised of two zones (Tyogbenda and Une) with 21 outstations.
Immediately after this proposal Rev. Fr. Adolphus Ikyuluke was assigned to reside at Une to nurse the proposed mission by Rev. Fr. David Aguh, the parish priest of Ugba parish. After Rev. Fr. A. Ikyuluke, other priests nursed this mission till on 26th August, 2005 that Bishop A.A. Usuh of Makurdi Diocese made Une a Quasi Parish and Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Jov was appointed the priest in charge.
The Quasi Parish was raised to a full status of a parish under the care of Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Jov on 5th December, 2010. He was appointed the first parish priest of the newly created parish. The ceremony was performed by Most Rev. William Amove Avenya, the then Auxiliary Bishop of Makurdi Diocese.
ST. AUGUSTINE’S PARISH, UNE